Saturday, February 27, 2016

SHALL-WILL SHOULD-WOULD

SHALL - WILL
Shall and will are both modal verbs primarily used to express the future tense.

In informal English, the Simple Future is frequently conjugated entirely with the auxiliary 'will', particularly in American English.

In more formal English, there is a rule which states that:
  • the auxiliary shall should be used in the first person, singular and plural (I/we)
  • the auxiliary will should be used in the second and third person, singular and plural,
    (you, he/she/it, they)

    SingularPlural
    Firstshallwe shall
    Secondyou willyou will
    Thirdhe/she/it willthey will
However, shall currently tends to be falling out of use, but it continues to be used
with I and we for offers and suggestions.
  • Shall I open the window?
  • Shall we dance?

SHOULD - WOULD
Should is the conditional form of shall 

Should is used :
 - to give advice : You should take regular exercise.
-  in hypothetical situations : Should you need any help, just call me.
-  to give tentative opinions :I should think the cost will be about €100.

Would is the conditional form of will.
In informal English today, the conditional tense is usually conjugated entirely with would :

- If I had enough money, I would buy a new car.

No comments:

Post a Comment