Friday, October 23, 2015

Contraction

What is contraction?

contraction refers to a shortened form of a word, syllable, or word group, created by omission of internal letters which are replaced by an apostrophe.
Examples:
  • I am = I'm
  • He is = He's
Contractions should not be confused with:
  1. Abbreviations which consist of a letter or group of letters taken from the word or phrase as in Dr for Doctor
  2. Clipping which is the word formation process consisting in the reduction of a word to one of its parts as in spec for speculation.
  3. Acronyms which is an abbreviation formed from the initial components in a phrase or a word (example: FBIBeneluxradar)

A list of contracted forms in English

Here is a list of some examples of contraction in English:
Full FormsContracted forms
I amI'm
you / we / they areyou / we / they're
she / he isshe / he's
I am notI'm not
you / we / they are notyou / we / they aren't
she / he is notshe / he isn't
I / you /we / they haveI / you /we / they've
she / he hasshe / he's
they havethey've
I hadI'd
I wouldI'd
I willI'll
I do notI don't
he does nothe doesn't
I did notI didn't
I have notI haven't
I had notI hadn't
I cannotI can't
I could notI couldn't
I will notI won't
I would notI wouldn't
I should notI shouldn't
I must notI mustn't
There isThere's
where iswhere's
who iswho's

No comments:

Post a Comment