Friday, October 16, 2015

Negation in English

Negative forms

Negation is the process that turns an affirmative statement into its opposite denial.
Example:
She is a nice girl - She is not a nice girl
Verbs in English are negated by placing the word not after an auxiliary or modal.
Examples:
  • I am not from Germany
  • I do not like playing tennis.
  • She does not listen to classical music.
  • I have not read this book yet.
  • I did not go to Moscow.
  • I had not had dinner when they came in.
  • You should not sleep late.
  • I cannot help you.
  • I will not participate in that competition.

Contracted forms

Negative forms can be contracted.
Long negative formsShort negative forms
do notdon't
does notdoesn't
am'm not (*not amn’t)
are notaren't
is notisn't
did notdidn't
have nothaven't
had nothadn't
should notshouldn't
would notwouldn't
will notwon't

No comments:

Post a Comment