Saturday, January 30, 2016

English Modal Verbs

Modal verbs are a type of auxiliary verb which express the mood of another verb. They are used
to express ideas such as possibility, prediction, speculation, deduction and necessity.



Modal  ConceptExample
Can
Ability:

Permission:

Offers :
Julie can swim.

Can I come with you? ('May' is also used.)

Can I help you?
Could
Possibility:

Past ability :

Permission :

Requests :
That story could be true - who knows!

Charlie could swim when he was four years old.

Could I use your phone please?

Could you tell me the way to the station please?
May
Possibility :

Permission :
The President may come to our offices
if the meeting finishes before 5 pm.

May I borrow your dictionary?
MightSlight possibility :

Past form of 'may'
in reported speech.
We might win a prize but I doubt it.

The President said he might come.
ShouldAdvice :

Logical deduction :
You should take an umbrella in case it rains.

I've revised so I should be ready for the test.
Ought toAdvice :

Logical deduction :
You ought to write to your grandmother.

30 € ought to be enough for the taxi.
ShallFuture tense auxiliary :

Offers/suggestions
with ''I' and 'we'
I shall be in London on Monday (or I'll be ...).

Shall I order a taxi?
Shall we begin the meeting now?
WillFuture tense auxiliary:

Invitations/offers :
The ticket will cost about 50€.

Will you join us for coffee? Won't you come in?

No comments:

Post a Comment