Saturday, January 2, 2016

Present and Past Tense

Present Simple
  • Routine, habits, repetitive actions :
    • I play tennis every Saturday.
  • Tastes :
    • I like chocolate, I hate doing homework.
  • Facts :
    • The sun rises in the east.
Present Continuous
  • Continuous actions :
    •  - at the time of speaking
      • I am reading this explanation now.
    • - around now :
      • I am learning English this year.
  • Planned future arrangements :
    • I am visiting Rome next Monday.
Present Perfect
  • Continuous form:
    • An action started in the past that continues today :
      • I have been learning English since September.
  • Simple form :
    •  The completed or finished part of that action :
      • We have revised grammar rules and verb tenses.
Past Simple
  • Finished actions at a specific finished time in the past.
    • Last year I bought a new car.
    • I saw your dog 5 minutes ago.
Past Continuous
  • Continuous actions
    • A continuous action at a specific time in the past :
      • I was having breakfast at 7 o'clock this morning.
    • A continuous action taking place when another brief event
      occurred :
      • I was watching television when the phone rang.
Past Perfect
  • Continuous form:
    • A past continuous action prior to another event in the past:
      • I had been driving for 3 hours before I stopped.
  • Simple form :
    •  A completed action before another action in the past :
      • I had finished the book before I gave it to Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment