Saturday, October 22, 2016

Useful phrases for writing business letters

Salutation• Dear Mr. Brown
• Dear Ms. White
• Dear Sir
• Dear Madam
• Dear Sir or Madam
• Gentlemen
Starting•  We are writing
- to inform you that ...
- to confirm ...
- to request ...
- to enquire about ...
• I am contacting you for the following reason...
• I recently read/heard about ..... and would like to know ....
• Having seen your advertisement in ..., I would like to ...
• I would be interested in (obtaining / receiving) ...
• I received your address from ----- and would like to ...
Referring to previous
contact
• Thank you for your letter of March 15.
• Thank you for contacting us.
• In reply to your request, ...
• Thank you for your letter regarding ...
• With reference to our telephone conversation yesterday...
• Further to our meeting last week ...
• It was a pleasure meeting you in London last month.
• I enjoyed having lunch with you last week in Tokyo.
• I would just like to confirm the main points we discussed
 on Tuesday.
Making a request• We would appreciate it if you would ...
• I would be grateful if you could ... 
• Could you please send me ... 
• Could you possibly tell us / let us have ... 
• In addition, I would like to receive ...
• It would be helpful if you could send us ...
• I am interested in (obtaining / receiving) ...
• I would appreciate your immediate attention to this matter.
• Please let me know what action you propose to take.
Offering help• Would you like us to ...?
• We would be happy to ...
• We are quite willing to ...
• Our company would be pleased to ...
Giving good news• We are pleased to announce that ...
• I am delighted to inform you that ..
• You will be pleased to learn that ...
Giving bad news • We regret to inform you that ...
• I'm afraid it would not be possible to ...
• Unfortunately we cannot / we are unable to ...
• After careful consideration we have decided (not) to ...
Complaining • I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with ...
• I am writing to complain about ...
• Please note that the goods we ordered on ( date )
 have not yet arrived.
• We regret to inform you that our order n° ----- is now
 considerably overdue.
• I would like to query the transport charges which seem
 unusually high.

No comments:

Post a Comment