Saturday, May 21, 2016

FOR - TO

It is sometimes not clear what structure to use to talk about the use of an object
as opposed to the reason for using the object .
  • Use or function of things/objects

    To explain the function of an object, what it is used for, we use for following by
    a noun or a verb in the -ing form.


    • What is this sponge for? = What is its purpose or function?
      It is for cleaning the sink.
    • What's the new suit for? = What are you going to wear it for?
      It's for my new job. I want to make a good impression!
    • What's that knob for?  It's for turning on the radiator.
  • Reason for doing something

    To explain why we do something, the reason for which it is done,
    we use the infinitive (ex: to do)

    • What do you use this sponge for? (=  Why do you use it/what do you do with it?)
      I use it to clean the sink.
    • Why did you turn on the radio? (= What did you turn the radio on for?)
      I turned on the radio to listen to the news.
    • Why do you study every day?
      I study every day to improve my level of English.
    • Why did you go to London.
      I went to visit Buckingham Palace.

No comments:

Post a Comment