Friday, July 15, 2016

RATHER - RATHER THAN - WOULD RATHER

It is often difficult for learners of English to know when to use 'rather', 'rather than' or 'would rather'. The explanation below should help clarify things.

RATHER :

'Rather' is an adverb of degree like ‘fairly’, ‘quite’, etc. that can be used with nouns, adverbs,
adjectives and superlatives. 

 • That’s rather a nuisance!
 • He cooks rather well.
 • She’s got a rather nice voice.
 • That’s rather more than I expected to pay. 

OR RATHER :

When we want to correct what we have just said, or make it more precise, we often use
the expression ‘or rather’.

 • His son is a doctor, or rather, a surgeon.

To talk about preferences there are two structures: 'rather than' and 'would rather'.

RATHER THAN : 

• It would be better to go in September rather than in August.
• I prefer to leave now rather than wait for all the speeches.
• He decided to write rather than telephone.

WOULD RATHER :
The expression ‘would rather’ is followed by the bare infinitive e.g. the infinitive without ‘to’.

 Would you rather live here or go back to London? I’d rather live here.
(= I would prefer to live here.)
• I don't want to go to the swimming pool. I’d rather go to the beach.
(= I would prefer to go to the beach.)

To say that one person would prefer another to do something, ‘would rather’ is generally
followed by a past tense.

• Don’t come on Monday. I’d rather you came on Tuesday.

To express regret about something that has already happened, ‘would rather’ is followed by
the past perfect.

• I’d rather you hadn’t done that = I wish you hadn’t done that.

-ING forms:
When the main clause has a verb in the –ing form, ‘rather than’ can be followed by –ing.

• I prefer getting up early rather than rushing at the last minute.

Be careful to note the following:

I'd rather + bare infinitive usually means 'I'd prefer', as in the following example:
◊ I’d rather have a cup of tea. = I’d prefer to have a cup of tea/I'd prefer a cup of tea.

BUT, with certain verbs - like/enjoy/appreciate - the meaning changes:
◊ I’d rather like a beer = I’d quite like a beer /I would enjoy a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment