Saturday, July 30, 2016

SO - NEITHER

SO

SO is used to show agreement with affirmative statements by, or concerning, another person.

SO + Auxiliary + Subject (pronoun) :  So do I

Remember :
The Auxiliary in the response must agree with the verb tense in the original statement.

Here are some examples :

Speaker ASpeaker B
Charlie likes chocolateSo do I.(= I like chocolate too.) 
Emma lives in London.So does Amanda.(= Amanda lives in London too.) 
Alex can swim.So can Jenny.(= Jenny can swim too.) 
Pedro is good at sports.So is Rafael.(= Rafael is good at sports too.) 
Our teachers are very strict.So are ours.(= Our teachers are very strict too.)
Enzo would love to work in Paris.So would I.(= I would love to work in Paris too.) 
Alex will be angry.So will I.(= I will be angry too.)
NEITHER

NEITHER is used to show agreement with negative statements.
NEITHER can be replaced by NOR with no change in meaning.

Neither + Auxiliary + Subject (pronoun) :  Neither do I (Nor do I)

Remember :
The Auxiliary in the response must agree with the verb tense in the original statement.

Here are some examples :


Speaker ASpeaker B
Sam doesn't want to go out.Neither do I.(= I don't want to go out either.)
Wendy can't cook.Neither can I.(= I can't cook either.) 
Jason doesn't have a ticket.Neither does Tom.(= Tom doesn't have a ticket either.) 
I can't speak Chinese.Neither can Sue.(= Sue can't speak Chinese either.) 
Peter hasn't finished yet.Neither has Tom.(= Tom hasn't finished either.) 
Meg couldn't come todayNeither could Sue.(= Sue couldn't come today either.) 
Dad won't pay attention.Neither will Mum.(= Mum won't pay attention either.)

No comments:

Post a Comment