Saturday, December 19, 2015

Past Continuous Tense

AffirmativeNegativeInterrogative
Long FormContracted Form




I was playingI was not playingI wasn't playingWas I playing?
You were playingYou were not playingYou weren't playingWere you playing?
He/she/was playingHe/she/it was not playingHe/she/it wasn't playingWas he/she/it playing?
We were playingWe were not playingWe weren't playingWere we playiing?
You were playingYou were not playingYou weren't playingWere you playing?
They were playingThey were not playingThey weren't playingWere they playing?


The past continuous tense is used :
  • To talk about a continuous action which took place at a specific time in the
     past :
    • Yesterday evening, at 9 o'clock, I was watching television.
    • What was I doing at 11 o'clock this morning? I was gardening.
  • It is also used in sentences with when or while, to refer to an action which
     was taking place when a shorter, brief event occurred.
    • Yesterday, while I was watching television, the phone rang.
    • When my husband arrived home yesterday, I was cooking dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment