Saturday, December 26, 2015

Present Perfect vs Past Simple

(I have finished  vs  I  finished)

PRESENT PERFECT 

The present perfect tense is used :

  • To talk about an action which started in the past and continues
         today
     :

         For and since are used to express duration. 
    • I have lived here for 10 years.  I have lived here since 2005.
          (I arrived 10 years ago and I am still here.)
  • To refer to past events in an unfinished period of time.
    • I have written two letters today.
          (Two letters are written but today is not finished.)
  • To refer to past events that have just happened or been announced :
    • There has been a plane crash near the coast.
          (We know the event took place but we don't know when.)
  • To talk about a past action with a result in the present.  :
    • I've broken my arm.  I can't drive (= because my arm is broken now.)
  • To talk and ask about experiences or accomplishments up to the time
        of speaking :
    • "I'm a writer. I've written 9 books."
    • "Have you ever written a biography?" "No, never."

PAST SIMPLE

The Past Simple is used:

  • When the period of time is finished.
    • I wrote two letters yesterday. (Yesterday is finished).

  • When the time is mentioned, either a precise time in the past, or a time
        expression which clearly situates the event in the past.
    • John lived in the country
      ..... until the age of 6. 
      ..... when he was young.
      ..... from 1995 to 2002
      ..... before he moved to London.
      ..... a long time ago.
As a general rule, if you can answer the question "when?", use the Past Simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment