Friday, December 18, 2015

Past Simple Tense

(example : to play)

  • The past simple tense of regular verbs is formed by adding - ed to the infinitive
    (for example: -  Infinitive : to play   Past Simple : I played)

  • The auxiliary did is used to form the negative and interrogative forms
AffirmativeNegativeInterrogative
Long FormContracted Form




I playedI did not playI didn't playDid I play?
You playedYou did not playYou didn't playDid you play?
He/she/it playedHe/she/it did not playHe/she/it didn't playDid he/she/it play?
We playedWe did not playWe didn't playDid we play?
You playedYou did not playYou didn't playDid you play?
They playedThey did not playThey didn't playDid they play?


The past simple tense is used to talk about finished actions in a finished period of time,
for example :

  • Yesterday evening I played tennis with a friend.
  • Last year I started taking tennis lessons.
  • When I was at school I hated history.
  • Five minutes ago I finished the report for my boss.
  • Last week I attended a meeting in Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment